I should have said ... a cloth stitch edge passive that never sees a pin nor a
twist.

A twist in the threads would anchor it.  I was thinking about a pair that had
no twists and no pins...just running straight through the whole works.  With
nothing to really hold it in place, it's easy to pull it too hard and gathered
up the completed lace.  If a person were planning to gather the lace onto
something, then a straight edge passive pair would make a perfect gathering
string.

I solved my problem of straight passives by switching threads once a repeat...
doing a change stitch with the worker pair on one row, and switching back with
the change stitch on the next row.  This anchors the threads really well.  The
passives can only pull as far back as the change stitch.  Doing this once a
repeat, within the pin area, prevents any gathering of the edge.  I often put
in extra, temporary, pins at the change stitches to help hold the correct
thread pathways.  (The next project will have a twist between rows on the
passives so I don't have this problem.)

Alice in Oregon