Dear Jo,
I do not profess to any real knowledge in this area, other than a beginner's, but if you look on p. 49 of Tierisch Flandrisch book by Inge Theuerkauf, you will see that the foot of the teddy bear is done in half stitch, with gimp and ring pair. It is not diagrammed as such, from what I can tell, but the picture is clear that there is half stitch. Different from Clay's outstandingly stunning clouds in her Bruges picture, but a choice nonetheless. Also, on p. 59 of the same book is an example of shading in a cloth ground motif simply using extra twists very effectively to give a 3D effect. A better example of this might be on p. 61. With these choices you might have lots and lots of fun with the sky. How about silver gimp, or a silver thread in the gimp? Not quite a lining, but the intent is there.

Also, if it were I, which I know it is not, I would make the seagulls higher, simply because you almost never see seagulls so low down to the water. Fits in the handkerchief edging, but if you're making a picture with high clouds and such...

Lyn in Lancaster, where it is COLD finally. 30F, -1C, but a wind chill of 21F, -5.5C. No snow where I am.

Jo wrote:
I would like your opinion about applying half stitch in flanders motives. If possible at all, what are the pitfalls?
My objective is to extend the seagulls from the book "Tierisch Flandrisch"
by Inge Teurkauf and add some clouds. With or without a silver lining ;-) -