David wrote:

<Remember how those sting bags cut your hands though??>

Didn't you used to wrap a hankie or something else around the handle to stop that happening?

I notice nowadays it's the older shopper who take their own bags to the supermarket and the younger ones who take more plastic bags than they need. I even refuse extra small plastic bags for goods which are already more than adequately wrapped.

Most supermarkets did try hiding plastic bags under the checkout desk to encourage people to take their own, but it didn't work - shoppers were demanding them. It needs legislation like they have in Wales to stop shoppers using them. The supermarket where I go doesn't give out plastic bags, they'll sell you a bag-for-life for 10p. If it wears out, they replace it free of charge. I noticed a person new to the shop complaining bitterly that that wasn't right.

I changed to that supermarket from another when the former extended to be the size of a hangar for a jumbo jet, but cut the number of lines and ended up with empty spaces on the shelves because they no longer had sufficient storage space. The manager of the store I changed to heard me mention I'd abandoned the other store after 50 years of loyalty to one of the staff and he promptly put two if the stores best large canvas bags in my trolley with his compliments.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK