Sue
The polystyrene in your old pillows is the problem.  I would no recommend
buying another like that.  Do look for one which is poly ethylene.  They seem
to be lifelong pillows.  I have several, with no damaged centers.  They are
just as light as polystyrene, but don't shed crumbs or disintegrate.

Terrycloth toweling IS hard to stick pins into, as I also discovered long ago
through experience.  If you want a soft surface I would use quilt batting or
felt.  But do the pin test before you actually pay for it.  See how it feels
to stick a pin into it.  If it offers resistance, select something else.
Lorelei