Thank you, Bev, for the tinyurl.  Many of  us would like a smaller version
of our very own!

When the first of our Arachnes visits the new Kensington Palace  exhibits,
please report back to us on the condition of the lace and costumes  in the
Queen Victoria exhibition.

Much more expertise, space and expense was given to Princess Diana  the
last time I went - in fact, the Princess's clothing was  presented in a huge
gallery.

The Queen Victoria exhibit was given a space about twice the size of my
bedroom.  Hers were very crowded exhibits and very crowded by people  viewing
it (almost airless) -- even men were saying that they could not  believe a
Queen would wear something so plain for a wedding!

You see, the curators vulgarized the wedding ensemble - the veil  shown was
no more that a piece of stiff machine-made modern net, with the  piece on
her head looking like those scrunched things you scrub pots  with!  The lace
flounce had been removed from the skirt (fragile  condition understood, but
it raised a lot of questions from me - I had  seen the whole intact years
before).  Signage is so important in an  exhibit like this.  The same glass
enclosure was crowded with several  other mannequins - her clothing, but the
wedding deserved more  respect.. Over-all, it was hardly appropriate for a
woman who was a  Queen and Empress.  How many other women have had an era or
age named after them?  Elizabeth I, yes.  And....?

There is a lot of correspondence in our archives on the subject of Queen
Victoria's lace.

Jeri Ames  in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 3/26/2012 1:59:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,