Thank you so much to everyone who chimed in on my translation question
for the inscriptions on some War Laces and on the spin-offs from that
conversation. Charlotte Kellogg's Bobbins of Belgium from 1920 is a
fascinating book about the War Laces, the lacemakers and the
organizers. Fortunately it is now on line, as mentioned.  Queen
Elisabeth of Belgium had already started an effort to improve the lace
designs, the standards of lacemaking and the lives of the lacemakers
in Belgium around 1911 before WWI broke out. This effort became even
more important during the war. Lou and Herbert Hoover along with many
others were instrumental in negotiating import of threads and the
export of the lace. Friends in various Allied countries supported the
effort by buying the lace.  Several famous Belgian artists contributed
by making designs. Isidore de Rudder and his sister Maria were among
those artists.   The whole history of the Begian War Laces is
fascinating, and several articles have been written about them.
Patricia Wardle, Elaine Merritt, Devon Thein are among the authors.  -
Sorry, I am not at home at the moment, and do not have my files to
check exact dates.

Karen in Washington, DC