Hi David
A few years ago at a Congress in either Denmark or Germany we saw one of the suppliers working on a project which required some 4000 [continental] bobbins [not sure if my husband misunderstood the number when he asked how many - but there was an awful lot of them] - she managed them beautifully. Those not in use were slid into an implement shaped pretty much like a tuning fork [but with longer arms] the handle part was actually a long pin which was stuck into the pillow, holding the bobbins in a vertical stack. They were kept in order and pinned neatly like sentinals on her pillow and were kept out of the way while not in use. I have a number of similar holders [though not the version with the pin] which I use for my Suffolk bobbins, for Midlands bobbins I use slim metal knitting stitch holders which I can then stack on top of each other and secure with a long pin or two [ie a hat pin] to keep them out of the way.

Nicky in Suffolk

<The thought came to me that there never seems to be enough room for
all those bobbins >