Dear David,
I must admit I shy away from metal bobbins.  Wooden bobbins feel better.  When
I was a new lacemaker, I gravitated to pretty shapes of Continental bobbins,
but then moved to more traditional shapes. the old designs work better, I find.
 Feel better in the hand. While I like the wood bobbins, I am not really
tempted to talk to them.  But I think those who use Midlands, with the
possibilities of slogans, and carvings, and hanging bobbins and the like, look
on them more like individuals, remembering where they came from.  Talking to
such bobbins makes more sense, if that is possible.  But if you tell your
bobbins about when they were trees, do you also tell some of them about when
they were cows?

DH gave me the Twelve Days of Christmas bobbins, which I am using as gimp
bobbins, very helpful, as I have the cheaper light-colored Binche bobbins, so
the shiny black bobbins stand out.  I don't talk to them, but I did try to put
them in pairs by the numerical order.  Partridge in a pear tree with two turtle
doves.

Do you find that it's easier to make lace if you talk to the bobbins?  Do they
get tangled less?

Lyn from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA

David wrote:
>Oh, so do I. I talk to them, remember them when they were trees and
>tell them all about their spangles - LOL.
>David

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."