"The other reason isn't choice; as I said previously, my fingers don't work
properly. It seems to be an interruption to the signal between my brain and
my fingers, probably in the same way that the tingling and pain in carpel
tunnel syndrome is cause by pressure on the nerve by inflammatory tissue in
the wrist, the signal to my finger tips doesn't always get there. I can be
doing some sewing and happily thread needles, then suddenly I can't get the
thread anywhere near the eye of the needle or into the place I'm aiming at
on
what I'm sewing, and I start dropping the needle, am unable to pickup the
thread or a pin. Grip goes completely."  Jean

It sounds like neuropathy,
which typically stems from compression in the cervical spine and can be caused
by or accrue with sitting a certain way (like leaning over a bobbin lace
pillow).  It increases pain in the arms and esp. hands, and there are synapses
where you think you have a hold on something and suddenly you drop it,
thinking your grip has been constant.

There are things to counter it, so I
would check with your doctor.  It can range from vertebrae being out of place,
to disc compression.  There are things you can do to counter and even remedy
some, most or for some, all of it.  Traction, spinal adjustment,
physical/occupational therapy, strengthening the muscles in the neck,
supplements, change in diet, and so much more.  Even a finding your perfect
pillow/s can really improve things.

Anything to help us be able to lace and
cure or limit pain and further damage.

HTH,