Another thought is that lacemakers began learning their trade at about 4 or 5 years of age - they did as their parents (or workhouse master) told them to. By the time they were of an age to go into service, usually around 10, they would already possibly be contributing to the family income by selling their lace - so why change from a job you already had, and knew what you were doing, to one where you had to start learning again - and if female, run the risk of losing your job if you ended up pregnant thanks to the attentions of the master or one of the stable lads! Going into service depended very much on whether there was a job to be had at the local big house - not always the case.

I very much doubt the youth of that era had a choice of career given to them as we have now - they did as they were told.

Once married, the norm was that women didn't work outside the home - certainly not in service - so perhaps lacemaking was seen as a 'job for life' whereas going into service was a job until marriage? This view on women working carried on well into the 20th century.

In message <1344960759.87716.yahoomail...@web87302.mail.ird.yahoo.com>, Diana Smith <diana.trevo...@btinternet.com> writes

OK there were very few job opportunities for girls in the 18/19th centuries.

If I had to choose between lace making which was clean, light, work at home with hours to suit. Against working long hours away from home scrubbing, cleaning, cooking, washing for someone else for little return or thanks - I know which I would choose!! Living conditions were probably not always the best but you can't have everything ;o)

--
Jane Partridge