This is a project I want to get right, really right, especially since I will be using it in the church to educate people about bobbin lace by doing the pattern during the ubiquitous Episcopalian (Anglican) coffee hour. They can see how it's going on, and what bobbin lace is all about. I am presently doing the two squares with some Fawcett 40/2 linen I have on hand. That will be the touch me piece. Then 2 squares in the thread I intend to use. In that one I can experiment and see if it will work in the large cloth stitch areas between the squares. It should. And there is cloth stitch on each side, for exchanging bobbins or pairs. That way I can look, unlace, look, or do it different ways to see which is less noticeable. This is really great, all these points of view, everyone adding something, or refining, or mentioning a slightly different angle. Many have said there is no one right way, and clearly that is so, because all the advice is good, as I knew it would be. lrb

Brenda wrote:
There is no way that you will be able to wind 30m of 40/2 linen onto one bobbin, you will have to have joins. IMO knots show less in thick threads and doubled threads show less in finer threads, especially in PG where there are lots of twists, though if the linen is a bit slubby you might be able to work it so that you have two thin sections running double where you change bobbins. Try to get the joins in cloth stitch areas or at the footdge where they will be least noticeable.