From: lacel...@frontier.com
Subject: [lace] Hydrating threads ... what not to do

This summer I worked on the project outdoors for two hot days and then had a
succession of broken threads. Thinking that the treads were just dried out, I
put a damp towel over the threads for a while, then the project was put away
for a few weeks.  I've been working on it again at state fair and started
having several broken threads again.  I tried the damp towel idea again and
let it sit over night that way.

When I started working on it again, I noticed that some of the threads were
discolored.  Looking carefully, all the discolored threads were on rosewood
bobbins.  I had put too much moisture on the bobbins and the wood color had
leached out to discolor some or all of the threads on those bobbins.
Fortunately, there were only a few of the dark bobbins.  Mostly I had used
light bobbins.

You don't even need to add moisture for colour to leach out of bobbins.  I
always fill my Honiton bobbins, then knot them together. Therefore some thread
stays on for a long time. I have some beautiful ebony and rosewood ones and
was horrified to find that the colour had leached through many layers of
thread. I now only use pale ones for Honiton and will only use darker ones for
other lases if I know they will be made quickly.

May your thread always stay white

Alex