Adele wrote:

<I wonder if there was some kind of Bayeux Tapestry anniversary or something, because it would be natural for some great atelier to have made such a panel for a big event.>

The Battle of Hastings took place on 14th October 1066, so there could have been a significant anniversary in a year ending in 66 - 1866, 1966.

Just for interest England has a full sized copy of the original in Reading Museum. It was the idea of Elizabeth Wardle, the wife of a Staffordshire silk dyer, and took a year to make, starting in 1885. That is well recorded, so there's hope that somewhere the making of the needlelace copy is recorded. This bit amused me:

"The Wardles made great efforts to ensure that their copy was as authentic as possible by using the right dyes, wools and stitches. However, there are some uniquely Victorian additions to the copy. In the borders of the original there are several naked men but in the copy their modesty has been protected! The ladies of Leek were not responsible for these prudish alterations; they had simply copied the details from hand-coloured photographs that had been 'cleaned up' by the South Kensington Museum."

http://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/collections/social-history/britain-bayeux-tapestry/

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK