I started wearing glasses aged 11, I now use varifocals, putting them on before I get out of bed and taking them off as I get back into bed at night. I spend my evenings working on my lace and watching the tv. If I want to see something specifically I look up more and work slightly less lace but I still enjoy watching some television and also make lace. Without specs I cant see to make lace or the television but can stitch with the fabric and needle just a few inches from my nose. I work under an anglepoise lamp over the pillow and use the magnifying lense when I need to. I have sjogrens syndrome (the disease Venise Williams was recently diagnosed with) which causes dry eyes (I have no natural moisture in them at all now so need lots of eye drops of artificial tears) but I have managed to keep them lubricated enough over the years so not to have scratched them or caused any ulceration, :-) I do notice very slight changes in my eyes so perhaps need to change my lenses more often then many but the optician has been very helpful with this. I cant imagine a world where I cant make lace, or knit, or read or watch television during parts of my day or in the evenings. My DH bought me a replica lace makers lamp several years ago which is a fabulous ornament and I have used it once or twice (once when we had a power cut, :-) and bless the inventor of the electric light, often.
Sue T
Dorset UK where the sun is beautiful but the temps low and very chilly.

I would agree wholeheartedly with Clay there.... (and others).

As a short sighted 'lefty' I too was wearing specs before the age of 13. I needed glasses to see the blackboard at school and also the tv at home. I cannot see to drive without my specs, however people in our lace class will tell you that I take my specs off to make lace!! (or look over the top of my reading glasses!!) This is particularly useful when working honiton or the piece of beds at the mo, (there's a pin hole behind other pins that's worked and others just cannot see the hole without magnification etc!!!)
Sue in East Yorkshire