Watching the news on the BBC makes one realise how dependent we have become on gas, electric/water supplies etc. In 1987 southern England had a very strong storm -hurricane. Living north of the Thames the damage was nowhere as bad as in the south(near Stansted Airport), in fact we all slept through it. But going to see a lace exhibition in Surrey, south of the Thames, we meet the damage of trees brought down in the woods/forests. They would not allow us into the exhibition because of worry of trees falling down and so we went to Royal Tunbridge Wells. There the trees in the historic Pantiles had come down, in removing them the tractors had done more damage to the old pavement than the falling trees! We do have the Thames Barrier, but would it withstand a storm such as that that hit the Eastern seaboard (remember the 1953 floods along the east coast) and would the walls along the banks be high.enough on the Thames? Certainly our Underground would be badly hit. Our thoughts go out to you and if there is any way in which we can help our lacemaker friends you only have to ask

Sheila in Sawbridgeworth where it is cold ,wet and windy!!!