Hi Sue and everyone

Try weaving them a bit longer than looks proper, then before you apply the
long pin or toothpick as someone else mentioned, gently  push the weaving
together, kind of 'upwards' towards the beginning of the tally (back of a
fingernail works - have used this trick to 'press' small areas of lace as I
got), to make it firm before you roll it.

It could also be the thread you are using is soft and would tend to
flatten.

If neighbour pairs are available, the tally can be made with three pairs,
weave 1 thread through 5.

Just some ideas!

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada