Hi Kim
The Vatican Museum has lots of very interesting things, from memory there were some vestments on display but where I can't remember (was there in 1999 and again in 2003). Many of the murals and paintings feature lace. The catch with the museum is that you should spend the day there, there are a huge number of tour groups going through and it is really hard to see things when you are pushed along by a sea of humanity. I ducked into the side rooms when things got too crowded. Also the cafe there does not charge huge prices for a basic sandwich and tea.

If you want a break from the hustle and bustle of Rome a walk through the Vatican gardens is lovely BUT you need to book in advance.

I remember seeing Lace in both Milan and in Florence, both in museums attached to churches I'll need to check back to my travel notes. If you want these please let me know.

Anna in a wet Sydney