Hi Sue:

This happens all the time. If any thread is S-plied then when a bobbin rolls to
the left the plies will untwist, and a bobbin rolling to the right will add
twists. As you work, you roll the bobbins out of the way, then when you want
them you pick them up to bring them back into the work, so the twists that
untwisted or overtwisted are not restored as they would be if you rolled each
bobbin the same amount in each direction.

With an S-plied thread or yarn, the plies are untwisted on the left side of
your pillow and overtwisted on the right side. Working with finer lace threads,
which have more twists per inch than your yarn, this effect only becomes
obvious once in a while. The untwisted threads start to look puffy, the
overtwisted ones look thinner and of course when you pick up a bobbin the
thread will twist back on itself as it tries to restore its balance.

Now that you're using yarn, you're seeing the effect almost immediately because
there are far fewer twists on the plied yarn than there are on normal lace
thread, so just one or two rolls of the bobbin makes a big difference.

So, what can you do about it? I'm afraid I don't have any clever tricks, and
anything I suggest you're probably already doing. You can try to stop the
bobbins from rolling but that's never worked for me. I would just try to
restore the twists as I go along, by keeping an eye on how the thread on each
bobbin looks and if necessary, rolling each bobbin in my hand when I pick it up.

Hope this helps.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)