Thanks to all the comments and postings on this topic over the last few days.
I was particularly taken by the comments by Linda and her work with the Denver
Art Museum and, well, here is where my brain starting going...

It seems like there needs to be some education of art museum directors about
what they have in their collections and what interest the public might truly
have (using the Met's recent example as evidence, along with some of the
specific observations by Devon and others here).  Some googling led me to a
group called the American Alliance of Museums.  They are having their annual
meeting and museum expo in Baltimore in May.  Their website says:

"The premier professional development opportunity of the museum year, as some
5,000 museum professionals gather to network, grow and learn.The 2013 Annual
Meeting is set for Baltimore, May 19–22. Attendees choose from more than 150
substantive program sessions, hear from dozens of thought leaders, see and
sample the latest museum products, and share challenges and solutions with
colleagues from around the world."

I am wondering if we have any lacemakers in the Baltimore area that would be
brave souls willing to set up demonstrations in the likely convention attendees
hotel lobbies.  I picture a giant banner that reads - "Got lace in your
collection?  No idea what to do with it and how to share it with the public?
Don't even know how it was created?  Come talk to us!  The theme of this
convention is 'The Power of Story.'  We've got stories for you!"

Any takers?  If nothing else, what a unique lace-in-public experience it could
be!

arlene in nj