Another major reason why linen threads are not suitable for machine sewing is
that they are nearly all S spun.  That makes them very suitable for BL because
most BL has more twists than crosses in its construction and the twist action
will tend to tighten a Z spun thread but loosen an S spun thread.  However,
sewing machines are all made to take Z spun thread.  Even if you do find a nice
smooth linen it will tend to come unspun with the action of the sewing machine
and the machine will definitely not be happy.

Really you only have two choices - use cotton (not polyester!) in your sewing
machine or use the linen thread you used to make the lace and attach it by
hand.  Having spent a lot of time making the lace I personally would choose to
attach it by hand even if the dress itself is linen fabric sewn together with
cotton.

Brenda

On 26 Jan 2013, at 08:14, lacel...@frontier.com wrote:

> In all my sewing experience, I haven't found any machine thread made of
> linen.  It's the nature of the textile that makes it unsuitable for machines.
> Linen thread tends to be a bit irregular in thickness, and has slubs.  It is
> also not slippery.  Thread for machines needs to be very even and smooth, and
> slide easily through all the gears.  A sewing machine makes the thread rub
> against metal about 20 times before it is sewn in the fabric.  Slubs would
> jam up the works.
>
> In history, machine laces didn't become a major commercial venture until
> cotton thread became widely available (after the development of the cotton
> gin).  The linen thread just would not slide easily through all the slots and
> gears.  Cotton thread did.

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk