I have been reading about all the different types of lace that you all do and am amazed how you all find the time. I must say that my first passion is bobbin lace. I don't mind what type of bobbin lace it is, I just love it. I have done a bit of most types and find that after 35 years, I can teach most types without actually having to make it myself. Then I feel jealous of my pupils because they do such wonderful work. At the moment I have on my pillows a torchon runner and a withof picture, apart from a string of bookmarks on my travel pillow. I am also helping an artist to make lace installations using 8mm thick plastic coated wire. It is a series of circles in different stitches, each one 2,5m in diameter. The pricking is on supawood on the floor and we have to crawl about the floor to do it but I have just taught my gardener to make lace so that I only have to set each new one up and then sit beside him and supervise. He is getting very good at it. As for other types of lace, I have dabbled in needlelace, tatting, carrickmacross, greek fingerlace (macrame), Battenberg, but I keep on going back to my lace pillow.
Janis Savage
in Honeydew South Africa, where the Easter weekend promises lovely warm weather.