Jean, the website you are referring to is that of the National Archives
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Home/OnlineCollections

Just type the name in and see what comes up.  Put inverted commas around the
full name to stop the search engine from searching on each word.  But, "Name
Surname" will not find Name Second-name Surname  and vice versa.

I tried it with Terry's grandfather who was in the Royal Navy during WW1.  Just
one document found and clicking on his name took me to another page from where
I could purchase a copy of the full document for £3.36.  (no need to do that as
my SIL has his full Navy record).  It didn't find my Grandad who was in the
Army during WW1, nor my Dad who was in the RAF during WW2.

Someone who died in 1981 may well have been on the 1911 census.  If the name
isn't very common it may be possible to identify him that way, so if Clay would
like to post the name I will try looking at the 1911 census.

BTW it geneaolgy, not geneology.

Brenda

On 12 May 2013, at 08:05, Jean Nathan wrote:

> You have the person's name, and for anyone who has served in the army, you
> can look up their service record on a web site - can't remember which. Don't
> know if it's the same for the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force, but I'm
> sure someone on this list who's into geneology will be able to say if there
> is. If so, that could give you a lead into all sorts of things about the
> person whose name is on the bobbin and whether Brighton is relevant to him.

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk