Dear Ilske, et al,
All children are different, yet boys are often more like other boys than they
are like girls.  If we recognize that each child is an individual, it helps.
But generalities can also help.  The skills we can say lacemaking helps with
are often those encouraged more in boys than girls, yet these are valuable
skills.  Analysis and problem solving in particular are developed with boys in
their adventures, making wooden racing cars, going hunting, building things.
In my experience, these are not things girls tend to do, although there are
always exceptions.  If lacemaking can teach children, which includes girls,
these skills, they will be way ahead as they prepare for life.  Lace is an
attraction to girls because it is pretty and involves thread, often thought by
girls to be their domain.  If we can assist them to develop these valuable
skills, wow.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where the rain made the air conditioning
unnecessary.

Ilske wrote:
I think I am partly mathematical/scientific and partly artistic. I liked math.
in school but I liked music (which has lots of mathematical elements) and art
and handicrafts as well. It was a big problem to decide which what I wanted
earn my living. By the way the scientific won.
>Math often helped me with my lace design and the logical of the rules in
>bobbin lace fascinated me from the beginning on.
My experience showed that each child was different. Often, when they were alone
with me they behave totally differently. Boys were mostly more courageous then
girls, but not all and not always. Lots of them like bobbin lace making for a
time and then forgot all about. Shortly said there isn't THE rule, they are
individuals all of them and it depends a lot how they grew up.

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."