Dear Aurelia's birthday was on my calendar every year - for  remembrance.
It is possible that I knew her longer than most in the lace  community.  She
lived in New York City when we met.  Her  younger sister, Addie Busch, was
a moving force in the 1968 beginnings  of the Manhattan Chapter of The
Embroiderers' Guild of America.  We  met via this connection.

There was friendly rivalry between the two sisters.  One devoted to  lace,
the other to embroidery.  EGA, a rather new organization in America  and
off-shoot of the EG in England, presented (in those early years)  huge
embroidery exhibitions in a corporate building's gallery on Park  Avenue, New
York.
It was on the second floor, with wall-to-wall  windows.  This made possible
a glorious view of the colorful  embroideries inside, especially at night.
A 1976 exhibition catalog  confirms that Aurelia exhibited her work.  She
was, in  fact, responsible for the 21-page exhibit catalog.

Needle lace is considered (by embroiderers) to be embroidery, and so  lace
passions often grew from roots planted in EGA.   Early  issues of the IOLI
Bulletin indicate Aurelia served  as editor.  Several covers of the IOLI
Bulletin (after color  and fancier bulletins were introduced) featured
wonderful
laces by  Aurelia.  For years, she served as a IOLI Bulletin proofreader.

In 1989, Aurelia's 19-page catalog "Lace - The Origins &  Development of
Handmade Lace", for a exhibition at The Walters Art Gallery,  Baltimore, was
published.  ISBN 0-911886-36-2.  Aurelia  wanted this to be in my Maine lace
library, and sent a copy at  Christmas 2006.  Her summary of the history of
lace is  wonderful.

Many will recall the exceptional exhibit of the Cone Laces at the Baltimore
 Museum of Art in 2005.  I visited this exhibit three times, and was very
enthusiastic about the intelligence behind the exhibit's excellent
explanatory  labels.  This research was, I am fairly certain, contributed by
Aurelia..   About this time frame we had a face-to-face  chat, and a chance to
reminisce.  She recommended out-of-print  lace books to me right up to the time
she left Maryland to live near her  son.

As a long-distance member of the Chesapeake Region Lace Guild  (near
Washington DC), I noted in their newsletters that right up until the  time she
moved to Michigan, there were four smaller groups of this lace  organization
meeting in Aurelia's home on a regular basis.  Wow!

Aurelia was a graduate of Columbia University, NYC, with a PhD in
Psychology.  Yet, most lace makers never knew about this side of her  life, and
her
other accomplishments.

All who personally knew Aurelia will imagine her in  that special place
reserved for all good people, sharing her vast  knowledge in most beautiful
surroundings with lace makers of the  past.

Farewell, dear friend.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

I've just had an email from Aurelia's son, Jonathan, that Aurelia  passed
away two nights ago after a long illness. I believe she would have  been 97
this coming October 31st....quite a long life for a remarkable lady  and
lacemaker who, just a couple of years ago, posted a link on Arachne to  her
instructive needlelace blog.  Aurelia
contributed substantially  to the cataloguing of the Cone Lace Collection at
the Baltimore Museum of Art  and continued to make bobbin and needle lace
throughout most of her life, and  graciously hosted classes and gatherings
of
lacemakers at her home in  Baltimore. She moved to be near her son in
Michigan
in the last few years.  She was a unique character and will be missed by
those
of us who knew  her.    Vicki in Maryland