Fellow Spiders-

I had a quick walk through of the Interwoven Globe exhibit at  the
Metropolitan Museum of Art yesterday on my lunch hour. It is nine rooms  and I
want
to go back and do the full audio tour which I anticipate will take  several
hours, with the need for refreshments and rest at intervals. There are  not
very many benches in this exhibit, I might add.

But, my initial observation is that it is dazzling and  probably the
textile exhibit that would justify a trip to New York, so you might  want to
start
making travel plans now. The objects are just beautiful and in  excellent
condition. I didn't read many of the descriptions since I didn't have  much
time, so I can't comment on them. But the concept, about the international
cross-pollination of textiles in the period 1500-1800 is fascinating.

There is really no lace, so don't go for that  reason.

I bought the catalogue ($65, cloth bound!) and it is very  beautiful with
color pictures of the objects and also many other objects not in  the exhibit
which provide context. It is not merely a picture book, as there is  a lot
of text that I am sure further expands the wall descriptions.

I for one, would like Jeri to review the catalogue since it is  obviously
not a "quick read", and I am not sure when I am going to have time to  digest
it.

Devon