Hi Jenny

Another tip.  Clay has mentioned about keeping the number of twists in the
ground constant. You can check this at the end of a diagonal row by slightly
easing up the lead thread – the one at the very end of the row. This should
pull back to the very beginning of the row and not do a U-turn somewhere in
the middle. If it has done a U-turn it means that you have a stitch with the
wrong number of twists. It’s not good practice to do this all the time as it
over tensions the lace, but it is a useful check while you are learning.

At one course at Knuston Hall I had Vi Bullard was tutor. At the time I was
stroking the bobbins at the end of a point ground row in order to improve the
tension. I was reprimanded and Vi explained that the tension of point ground
is achieved by the movement of the bobbin as you make the stitches, any more
will over tension it and make the holes, which should be smooth ovals, into
hexagons with straight sides that look too harsh. Making sure you have room to
move the bobbins from side-to-side as you work, i.e. sufficient room that you
can move each bobbin at least 4 inches sideways from when you pick it up until
you place it down. Looking at your last piece I think you are doing this, it
looks like you are using the full width of your pillow. Keep going, remember
we are here to help when you need it.

Happy lacemaking (not that you need reminding)

Alex