Jane,
I shall arrange to get a photo of this handky within the week hopefully. It is very fine work and I didn't have my magnifiers with me, but the edge was quite definitely the Bedfordshire 9 pin edge. It did have tallies in groups of 4 but was worked in a very fine cotton not silk. Just can't recall details of the trails right now.

If it is Bedfordshire, not Maltese or Cluny, then the earliest date is likely to be 1852, as its development from Bucks came from inspiration from these laces at the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace in 1851,

Hmmm, well if as I suspect this hankdy came out on the ship with friend Jill's forebears, then it's most likely in the mid 1850s as that was when the huge numbers came here for gold. Might have to do her family tree for her :)
David in Ballarat, AUS