One reason for starting with Torchon is that is geometric on 45 degrees and if
you make a mistake such as not closing the pin or forgetting a twist it is
soooooo obvious and it might not be so obvious in other laces. So it's great
if you're the type of person who wants to know that their work is perfect.
Personally, I prefer my work to have "design features" and don't fret if
there's a mistake (or even a lot of them). It's just for me, and even if I
give it away, the recipient doesn't usually know it isn't perfect.

I don't want lacemaking to be a chore - I do it because I enjoy it.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK