Up in the Top End (of Australia), some 25 or more years ago, a lady got
herself a copy of rosemary shepherd's Beginners book, and taught herself
from that book. She then found some other like-minded ladies, lent the book,
and helped them learn from it.  There is now a thriving Lace Group in the
area. - so it is not that hard to teach yourself from a book.

In the early days here (1980s), I remember someone looking at my Beds lace I
was working on, and wishing she knew enough to move on to Beds and Bucks Pt.
laces.  Her teacher was keeping her on little torchon edges, - and she told
me she had "only been learning for 3 or 4 years, so was not knowledgeable
enough to move to another lace yet" !!  I am Still appalled about that, and
have never forgotten it!  Exploitation, - like the "bums on seats in class"
comment.

Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz.