Hi Alex and fellow spiders,

Actually there's a bit of confusion about the
shipping etc. charges for the copies of Alex's book already on ebay:  if
the buyer is in the US, the shipping charges are only $3.43 for economy
shipping (probably Media shipping which can take forever but doesn't cost
much).  The basic price of $67.95 probably covers the cost of the original
book at a dealer's discount from the author, plus shipping and import charges
from the UK, plus a moderate profit.  It still seems a little high, but not
as high as at least one other dealer will be selling it for I'll bet.

The
high shipping and import charges that Alex saw are because she was accessing
the ebay site from the UK and they were charges for shipping the book back to
the UK.  It would certainly make no sense for anyone in the UK to buy it from
a seller outside the UK.

I still prefer to buy from the original source
when possible because I prefer the profit to go to the author rather than be
split between an author and a dealer, but I realize this is not always
convenient for people, plus we need to support our dealers so they are there
to supply us with books and threads and things that it is not so easy to get
ourselves. I have seen some books currently in print for higher prices on
ebay, however, than one can get through amazon.com or even from full-price
retailers, so it pays to be cautious.

Also, I have been told that there has
been some indication of knock-off copies of Alex's books being sold for
a LOT less, and those should be avoided too! That is in violation of the
author's copyright, and NO profits are going to the author.  So only buy from
reputable dealers or the author, and remember that, if some deal is too good
to be true, it probably isn't.

Sorry for such a long post, but I think
these are issues important to the lace community.

Nancy
Connecticut, USA
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:59 AM, "alexstillw...@talktalk.net"