Hello, all -

I too was able to visit the Interwoven Globe exhibit at the
Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.  A couple of weeks back and
regretting that I have not found the time to share my thoughts with others who
might love to see this exhibit, but Lyn's message had me opening my catalog
and perusing through my notes and wanting to share with others, just like she
had done.

First of all, it is an astounding exhibit.  I was last at the Met
last January, just in time to see the wonderful (but small) lace exhibit
before it closed.  Before that, it had been some years.  As with other large
city museums, you could spend days and not see everything contained in the
walls.  That said, I agree with Lyn - I spent a good number of hours in this
exhibit and other than a break for some lunch, really did not see much
anything else.  I found there to be so much to take in.

I suspect that
many lacemakers and lace-lovers out there and reading this are likely to also
love and engage in handmade loves of other kinds.  For me, embroidery and
needlework of all types is a huge part of my life.  So, I went to this
exhibit knowing the lace side of me would not find too much, but looking
forward to digging deeper into the beautiful pieces that had already captured
my attention in the catalog.

I had in mind a little list I had created of
my favorites based just on the pictures in the catalog and was of course
looking forward to seeing them in person.  Most did not disappoint.  But, I
was also just taken aback (although I shouldn't have been too surprised, since
photography cannot always do justice) by so many other pieces.  For the
embroidery/needlearts lovers out there, I point out a few favorites:

#8 (a
hanging) in the catalog is on loan from the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum in
Boston.  I think a friend had sent me a postcard/pamphlet that had a picture
of this some years ago and my mind had the blue to be a quite a bit more
vibrant than it was in person.  The focus of the information right next to
it, the audio guide, and the mini-essay in the catalog is about the design
aspects, but I was just so drawn to the beautiful and fine embroidery.  The
joy of this exhibit is that many, many of the pieces were displayed in ways
that you could get up close.

#10a or #10b:  (catalog lists it as 10a, but my
notes from the day say 10b)  Either way, the stunning nearly-white on white
embroidery of this bedcover with golden highlights is SO appealing to my eye
and my senses.  Perhaps my favorite piece?  Hard to play favorites here.
 It was hung next to #9 - similar style of both design and color and
embroidery, but 9 was more "yellow" while 10a/b was more "golden".  I loved
the symmetry of this piece.

#23:  a Mexican wedding coverlet.  Overall, it
is not the type of piece that appeals to my eye, but blessed with the time,
energy, and mental and intellectual interest to truly take in this entire
exhibit, I am glad I was reading everything that was there.  I thought this
quote was wonderful:  Chinese silk thread was used for the embroidery,
colored with European and American dyes and stitched on Mexican woven cotton.
 "…providing the evidence of the global enterprise and ingenuity of the
era."  The coverlet is dated 1786.

#29, a double sided hanging, is one of
many many pieces that small photos in the catalog cannot possibly do justice
for.  Huge (95 by 87 inches) and hung so you could study both sides, the
embroidery of this was just amazing.

There were many palampores in this
exhibit.  A new word for me, simply put, a textile from India, often covers,
hangings, etc.  Most that were in the exhibit were printed textiles and I had
noted some for their design elements before my visit.  #75 seemed, on glances
through the catalog, to be one of many.  But, in person, you could see this
was actually embroidered.  "Chained stitched in silk on cotton twill ground
to imitate a painted palampore as precisely as possible."  Extraordinary.
 In addition to the amazement of the stitching, I loved the color palette.
And, as for the lace on the dresses that Lyn mentioned, I found them
intriguing, yes, but so much else attracted my eye.  However, for those who
wish to study closer, I offer this link:
http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/view?exhibitionId=%7b063A1AA2-5A4E-439A-
A332-046E00E8BD73%7d&oid=79893&pg=5&rpp=20&pos=87&ft=*&img=5

The Met's
website has an online catalog with wonderful zooming capabilities.  When
looking up this dress, there were multiple pictures, including this close-up
of the lace parts.  Click on the picture and then you can zoom in more.  To
me, it is chain stitched or crochet or something of that nature and therefore
not as exciting to my eye as if #80 (bobbin lace cover, as already noted, in
the catalog for some reason, but not actually in the exhibit) had been there
on view to see.  In any case, there is the link for anyone wishing to study
this.

Also, here is the link to see all the items in the exhibit.  Again,
wonderful zooming in  possible for these pictures:
http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/objects?exhibitionId=%7b063A1AA2-5A4E-43
9A-A332-046E00E8BD73%7d&rpp=20&pg=1

Plenty of pieces among the 120-130
pieces did not feature embroidery - lots of printed textiles and woven
materials - and lots of learning and education about the textile trade as a
whole.  I just wrote up here the embroidered pieces that certainly drew my
attention and are likely to be of some interest to those who make anything
with there hands, like the lacemakers and lace-lovers on this list.

Anyone
else made it to the exhibit?  Please do share your thoughts!

arlene in NJ