Thanks to all who replied, on the List or directly.  Some people did name
a dealer who has blue film.  So far, only one English dealer lists rolls as
well as small pieces of blue film (SMP Lace).

I'll do some more research on
the possible suppliers, and then decide if the cost plus shipping is worth
getting a roll.

It seems to be common in the USA for patterns to go on blue
paper and then cover with the cheap clear film.  I do that myself sometimes.
If colored thread is to be used, then a white pattern covered with clear works
well.  There are other alternatives, also.... like pricking card that doesn't
need film.

Sometimes, at 'back to school' time, I find transparent book
cover film at the stationery or dollar stores.  I have some in orange,
fushia,  bright green, and purple.  They work for a one-time project, if I can
stand the bright color.  I like the blue film for very fine thread or
long-term projects in white thread.

Since we start beginners with colored
thread, the first patterns just need clear film.  Each person can decide later
whether to invest in the blue film or use the blue paper alternative.

Thanks
for all who responded.  Sorry I couldn't reply to each of you separately.

USA
people.... Have a great Thanksgiving next week.

Alice in Oregon -- Dry, but
night temps are below freezing.  Cold and windy.  Winter is here.