---- Jean Nathan <jean...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
I use rOtring technical pens, around GBP8.50 (around $13) each so not a cheap
pen and intended for technical drawings. Guess I'm just ham-fisted.

Okay, if you're using a technical pen (the "point" is a metal cylinder with a
wire that shakes up and down to clear out the drying India ink) and it's
getting too broad too fast, it's probably how you're holding the pen.
Technical pens were designed to be held exactly vertical while drawing.  If you
tilt the pen they way you'd hold a pencil or regular pen, you will damage the
cylinder's edge.

Try it with a new crayon--it goes from a circular tip to an oval when you press
hard while coloring.  If you keep moving the crayon around in your hand, you'll
wear down all sides of the tip and make a dull, rounded tip.  But if you hold
the crayon still in your hand it will wear at an angle and you'll have that
ellipse of a point.  This is what happens with a technical pen.

Hope this helps.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com