Blacking would have been used in the household anyway, I can remember my grandmother having a range (combination of fireplace and about three ovens) which was blacked, and fire grates were blacked as a matter of course, especially in larger households where it was the job of the lower housemaids.

To take a rubbing they would have rubbed the image onto paper, or similar material, as you cannot rub straight onto card (or vellum). This would give a mirror image of the pattern, as you rub the wrong side of the pricking, so the image would have had to have been turned over to prick onto new card - maybe this explains the difference in right and left footsides between regions when patterns were copied - so whatever was used for the rubbing would have had to be on something thin enough for the image to show through. The blacking may have transferred to the card when the pricker was pushed through, so they may have used something between the card and the rubbing to stop this happening?

Dirty lace was more likely to have been rejected by a dealer - who was under no obligation to buy from the cottage workers s/he employed - so the lacemakers would have done everything possible to keep the lace clean.

In message <6c87.43755fb5.3fc27...@aol.com>, dmt11h...@aol.com writes
Also
called  blacking

It sounds a little messy to have around lace.

Devon
--
Jane Partridge