One thing the discussions of this - using heelball, pricking through original
prickings etc - makes very clear that the photocopiers we now take for granted
are a very modern invention, and most of us can remember when they were
unreliable - distorted, shrunk patterns on odd shiney paper that disappeared
after a while in sunlight.  This I think is yet another thing we need to bear
in mind when considering how lacemakers of old worked.  I started when the
best way of making an accurate pricking was meant to be working on graph
paper, using one and a half squares (or whatever) one way, and one the other
to get a Bucks grid - and that relied on accurate graph paper, and indeed
cheap paper, itself not available in the early days of lacemaking.  With all
these problems in reproducing patterns, freehand lace may well have continued
longer and into more elaborate patterns than we consider practical, and to me,
it seems quite unlikely that "working diagrams"
 or similar would be readily available when the workers would have found it
hard enough to get accurate patterns; a piece of worked lace would probably be
the most practical way of letting someone know what to produce.  It would be
fascinating to know how the designs were first turned into lace, and what
knowledge the designer, pricker and maker had of each others' skills.

leonard...@yahoo.com