"A large fully-dressed  pillow with many bobbins and dense pattern is
discouraging and elicits the usual  "I don't have the patience!"."

Oh how I agree with Jeri on this one.  And it can be a real act of diplomacy
to try to tell potential volunteers that their 'boasting' pillow with 200+
expensive bobbins and fine Point Ground lace completely hidden by pins is not
going to be an inspiration to new lacemakers.  On the contrary,  it will
frighten them away.

One of the best show pillows I have seen is Arachne Leonard Bazaar's.  From
memory it is a largish circular cloth (maybe a metre or so across, but I'm sure
he'll let us know), worked in a 5 pair braid lace, all cloth stitch (is that
right?) with minimal plated fillings, Bruges style.  I seem to remember the
design is made in thirds, and when i saw it last, at least one third was
finished and hung impressively at the front of the pillow.   The work in
progress is so basic that I have seen Leonard invite people to do some for him
when there is a queue for the have-a-go pillow.  They can immediately
understand how this simple stitch and braid can make a beautiful and even
complex design.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire

Sent from Samsung tablet