-
Subject: Re: [lace] Demonstrating

Does anyone remember the spectacular fashion show the Puerto Rico lacemakers held at the castle by the sea during their IOLI convention many years ago? bBeautiful laces newly made for baptismal dresses, communition dresses, weddings, quinceaneras and just for nice.

Handmade lace still was obviously a part of their lives.

EMK

Geraldine Stott and myself were invited to teach lacemaking on a caribbean cruise back in the 1980's. We flew to Puerto Rico where we taught for two days before boarding the ship for the cruise and it was there in Puerto Rico that the local lacemakers put on a fashion show for us. It was excellent and the work was exquisite - all gorgeous pure linen dresses etc embellished with the most beautiful hand worked lace and stitching. I remember one little girl in particular who really fancied herself as a fashion model, and the organisers just couldn't get her of the stage - she was like a true professional on the catwalk!

Catherine Barley
UK

Catherine Barley Needlelace
www.catherinebarley.com