Sorry about this - first attempt only sent first two paragraphs.

In Issue 56, February of 2014 of "Sew - Home and Style" there’s a 3-page
 article about lace (starts on page 28) entitled “Laced in History”.
It’s a UK publication and therefore only deals with the UK.

The
 first page is about Honiton lace by Margaret Lewis of Allhallows
Museum, who finishes by directing anyone who wants to learn how to make
Honiton lace to on-line tutorials or to classes at Allhallows Museum.

The
 second page is an interview with Gwynned Roberts of the Lace Guild,
mainly about the work or the Lace Guild, and who apparently suggests
"simply look around for someone to teach you". There’s a sidebar
discussing the Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding dress and the lace of
Queen Victoria.

The third page has a side bar about the Aragon
Lacemakers in Bedfordshire, a paragraph about the Gawthorpe Hall
textiles collection, but the rest of the page is about learning to make
lace. Their suggestions are The Lace Guild Summer School, Allhallows
museum or teach yourself using the House of Crafts ghastly lace making
kit (which consists of a small polystyrene cylinder in a cardboard box
with the poorest plastic bobbins imaginable and plastic beads),  quote
“ideal introduction to lace making with clear patterns and tools for
creating a selection of pieces including a flower decoration,bookmark
and lace edging.” Guaranteed to put anyone off lace making.

There’s
 no mention of just how many lace makers there are in the UK and around
the world, of contacting the Lace Guild for information in teachers, and
 lace groups in a particular area, of looking on the internet for lace
groups on-line or in a particular area of the country, of going to the
library or searching Amazon for instructions books.

I wasn’t
impressed, but I think I’d probably be wasting my time pointing out to
them what they’ve omitted in their suggestions on how to get started,
and especially telling them how awful the House of Crafts kit is.

Jean Nathan in Poole, Dorset, UK