In a message dated 1/12/2014, lynrbai...@desupernet.net writes:

.....sweet corn is best eaten the day it is picked, as the sugars  start to
turn to starch once it is picked.  ......It is a simple food, best  lightly
boiled and lots of butter on top, eaten with the
fingers or corn  holders as it is hot.

This has prompted me to wonder if there is any way to use corn silk in the
making of lace?  Would make interesting table favors at the 2015 Iowa
convention!

Another idea has to do with two 2 1/2" tall corn husk dolls I bought  from
a Czech dealer in the sales room at the 2008  Groninger Netherlands OIDFA
Congress   These are  a banquet table favor possibility.  They are glued to a
2"  diameter round wood base cut from a tree.  The one in my lace tools
étagère is holding a wood "lace pillow" cut from a 3/8" diameter round twig,
with a strip of paper glued around the middle with a drawn lace  pattern.
Attached on top of that are 4 miniature wooden bobbins wound with  aqua
colored thread.  The doll in my embroidery tools étagère is  holding a draped
1
1/2" square of fabric on which a row of cross stitches  has been added in blue
thread.

Maybe the National Czech and Slovak Museum staff knows more about  them,
and how they are made.

A article about this museum's re-opening after recovery from destruction by
 flood appeared in OIDFA's Bulletin 4, 2012.

Lyn reminded me that my grandparents returned to farming  because of severe
food shortages during WWII (America's young farmers had gone  to war in
Europe and the Pacific).  Before he went to pick corn, she  set a pot of water
on the old black wood-burning stove to  boil.  They rushed to husk the corn
and put it in boiling water.  We  did not have butter, but it was still a
feast at a time when people  all over the world were hungry.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center