In a message dated 1/13/2014, kazama...@gmail.com writes
.....I guess it didn't happen on this side of the Atlantic. I must  ask my
parents about it.  Karen in Malta

----------------------------------
Dear Karen,

We have been writing about two 20th Century World Wars.  And the  writing
has been about how grains were packaged for shipment, and what was done  with
the sacks used for this purpose.

As I said before, you can read Charlotte Kellogg's book "Bobbins of
Belgium" (WW 1) on the Professor's site.
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/lace.html

An earlier Kellogg book not specifically about lace is "Women of  Belgium -
Turning Tragedy to Triumph".  This second book tells about  feeding the
young and elderly civilians, and clothing them, when Belgium was  occupied by
Germans in WW 1.  Kellogg was the only woman member of the  Commission for
Relief in Belgium, headed by Herbert Hoover (later a U.S.  President).  You'd
have to order this book from a library.

You can also learn by reading the Herbert Hoover Museum's Gallery  2 (WW 1)
the time of the embroidered flour sacks (sent back to America  from Belgian
women as "Thank You" messages) and Gallery 9 (WW 2) for  information about
the huge efforts to meet needs of starving people during  your parents'
youth.  WW 2 aid had to be provided around the  world because people in Asian
countries also were starving, due to the  war with Japan all around the
Pacific.  America entered WW  2 on 2 fronts after Hawaii was bombed by Japan.

http://www.hoover.archives.gov/exhibits/

During and after WW 2 retired farmers in the U.S., like my grandfather,
went back to farming to take the places of young farmers who went into the
armed  forces to fight in Europe and the Pacific (many of whom lost their
lives).   My grandfather raised chickens in huge barns - eggs and meat being in
short  supply.  Chicken feed was picked up by truck (using  rationed
gasoline) at a grain store near the railroad.  This  grain came in printed
fabric
sacks in the U.S., and from this  fabric farming families were able to clothe
women and  children.  Farmers were given scraps of fabric by wives "to
match" at the grain store!  I remember the patterns on the sacks, 70 years
later.

During and after WW 2, people in Europe and in the Pacific were  starving.
You have an opportunity to read about humanitarian relief  efforts at the
Hoover site above, Gallery 9.  A high price was paid  for the freedoms and
comforts most people enjoy today.

Unfortunately, history is usually taught about battles and dates to
memorize.  It turns students, especially girls, away from learning about
history.
 I like to write about the women who came before us, because  it is their
history that has usually been ignored and  lost.  History is relevant to our
study of lace and  embroidery.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center