My first thought was that it's a needle case.  I have something similar in wood
which dates back to the 1980s or 1990s and would have been bought from one of
the many bobbin turners around at the time.

However, mine has a cap with a screw end which goes inside the main part.  On
close examination of the ebay photo the grooves at each end appear to be
parallel decorative grooves rather than spiral threads.  Could it be that there
were two end caps, which are now missing, which just pushed onto the ends which
are slightly tapered?  Maybe even thimbles as end caps to stop the contents
from falling out.

If it was intended as a knife/chopstick rest why bother to make it hollow?  and
why not have a flat surface somewhere to stop it from rolling around?

Brenda

On 31 Jan 2014, at 07:56, Jean Nathan wrote:

> Another "I don't know what it is so I'll call it a lace bobbin" on Ebay.

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk