Interesting question.
In a sense, I think you feel a little violated because it  seems that a
design you gave to the magazine appears as though it is being used
commercially. However, as you say, the low price implies that commercial making
 of
handmade lace is not really viable.
My theory on this is that the piece passed into the hands of  the ebay
auctioneer via an estate. So, projecting a bit, perhaps the maker made  this as
a labor of love for someone important to him, who cherished it. I am  sure
that you intended this to be the use of your design.
However, when the piece goes to auction, it is devoid of the  sentimental
value, and finds a buyer who is evaluating it entirely on the basis  of
comparable ebay items, possibly simply as wall decoration. (It may even be  the
case that the piece is being bought for the frame.)
I had a conversation with a man who was a blacksmith at a  historic village
one time. He told me that he would make a nail at the village,  and then
sell it for $5. However, at a garage sale it would sell for only about  50
cents. The people who bought the nail were buying the experience of seeing it
made, was his explanation.
I think that this shows that for hand made lace to achieve any  value on
the market place, it has to be presented in the context of some kind of
demonstration, or educational setting with loads of history thrown in, so that
the buyer is buying the history, the cultural tradition, etc.
Generally speaking, the public is not knowledgeable about  lace, so they
don't have any basis for critical evaluation of a piece of  handmade lace. In
fact, it is hard to perceive the difference between handmade  and machine
made lace, and machine made lace is quite inexpensive.
Of course, without a lot of study, and understanding of  technique, oil
paintings are just color on canvas.
Handmade lace in our era is at historically low values. In the  1920s when
there was a lot being written about making and collecting lace the  prices
were rather high, especially for exceptional pieces.

I suppose, in a way, you could consider that for the people  who appreciate
handmade lace, today's market place presents an incomparable  "buying
opportunity", totally devoid of investors running up the price.

Devon