Hi fellow Arachnids,

When we were on holiday in Australia -many years ago- the stewardess on the coach we travelled in some of the way certainly used eucalyptus oil to clean the upholstery. It even cleaned off the chocolate that one person ground into the plush (moquette?) material. However, I would not like to use it on any of my lace!

Talcum powder takes grease out of material. I have even used it a couple of times on my hair (sprinkle a small amount on, rub in gently and brush out thoroughly) when it had been impossible to wash it when it needed it. I still washed my hair as soon as possible after as I hate dirty hair. Although it would remove some of the grease out of the lace it would not clean it and might/will leave an undesirable residue.

Happy lace making.

Joepie, in East Sussex where we are having a brilliant spring day.

Subject: [lace] Care of fabrics

I too remember the bran treatment for tweeds and upholstery! I also know
that talcum powder (powdered magnesium silicate) was recommended to clean
lace and other delicate fabrics. I am sure that I have heard that
recommendation a lot more recently than the 1940's. I believe it is also
recommended to clean soft toys which cannot be washed, such as old teddy
bears.

I have never heard of the oil of eucalyptus treatment for silk, and cannot
imagine it being used.

Kathleen in sunny Berkshire, UK