Hello All!  Hope springs eternal!  From time to time, I've entertained the idea
of making a fan.  What's not to like?  They're girly, coy & elegant.  To that
end, I have collected some fan sticks along my way.  Yesterday, I found another
vintage set that blew my socks off.  I've uploaded photos of each to Flickr
with a description.  Each appear to be celluloid with a pressed design &
piercings but the latest set also has small steel (a bit rusty & some are
missing) insets.  The fabric is quite fine, perhaps China silk, & appliqued
with silvery spangles of various sizes & shapes.  The spangles will be
re-purposed in an embroidery project but not until I get a better grasp on how
the fan operates with regard to spacing the blades.  Since the shape is so
pleasing, it might be nice to create lace as individual units that could be
stiffened or appliqued to silk before attachment to the blades.  Hey--a girl
can dream, can't she?  Any suggestions for using vintage sticks are welcom!
 e!  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Erie, PA USA