Susan,
      This is a great way to make a sturdy cuff.  I am always looking for
new ideas, I will be filing this away with my others.  I am wondering if
there is a way to cover it in velvet without having the velvet fray
terribly?  The plaited bracelet you appliqued to it would have been worn
appliqued just as this onto a garment in it's original period.  That could
be a lot of fun!
     The other sturdy way I have found to mount bracelets is on the
similarly shaped wire framework cuffs sold through lace dealers.  It works,
but is a bit fidly.  This is definitely much stronger.  Of course using
heavier wire will do it, but the fine gauge wire is half of the fun!
Kim