Thanks Alex

Salt (in _cold_ water for a dried on stain - hot water will "set" the
stain) is my usual first line of attack for bloodstains. Works fairly
well on recent stains that haven't been through a hot wash

For a fresh (still wet) bloodstain, rubbing dry salt (gently!) onto the
spot will soak up the blood, but don't forget to rinse well immediately
in cold water (the salt itself is corrosive, not good for delicate
fabrics if any is left in)

Beth