Just adding a thought:

I hesitate to contribute. I have pickings that I've designed & done or
tatting patterns that I've worked the bugs out of, BUT I don't have what it
takes to deal with complaints & criticism. I am NOT a "professional" nor am
I some uber OCD designer.  I'm an artist and a mom. If I get a notion I'll
do it up. I kind of wonder if more of us introverts would contribute more
if we didn't feel like it would become open season on our skills/ideas.

I had someone local tell me I was doing my tatting joins wrong (it was
different than how this person prefers to do them) and I stopped a tatting
for over a month. It sucked the joy out of doing it. Every time I picked up
shuttles all I heard was "doing it wrong".  Yes, I know I shouldn't let
things get to me, but...  And people saying "just get a thicker skin" or
some such nonsense does just the opposite.

I live with depression and often those extrovert sayings we all know do
more damage than good.  I'm not sure how to fix it so that more "shy"
people are willing to open up. Perhaps if you hear someone putting another
lace-maker or lace style down take a moment to counter it. Compliment
something from the bulletin or start a topic to get people sharing their
favorite kind of lace or technique...I don't know. *blush*  I am, however,
working up the courage to contribute a couple of patterns to IOLI's
bulletin.  And maybe, just maybe, next year I'll have the courage to put
something in the local fair.

You are all amazing lace makers!
Robin

--
Never, ever, let anyone tell you what you can and can't do. Prove the
cynics wrong. Pity them for they have no imagination.