I have been helping my next door neighbour to learn to make lace. I told her I will teach her what I can and anything she doesn't understand to say so as I can always find another way to show her or to tell her. Because she has one week hand we are finding ways to make it all work for her and although we are not quick she has produced two nice pieces of work she is proud of and is 3/4 of the way through her third project. The first couple of weeks I did the usual rough bit of lace to help her get the feel of the threads and the bobbins, it also allowed me to see how quickly she understood what she was trying to do. She is a year older than me, so not quite as young to pick things up quickly. I clearly remember the things I struggled with in my classes (Lace and all those years at school), so told her there is no such thing as a stupid question, ask and we can work at it. After the tapes which were very untidy and not always right I didn't keep pushing with that, I decided that she was ok moving the bobbins and threads and went on to the snake. I told her we could take all the time she needed and that we wanted it to be a nice tidy job for her grandson. It wasn't perfect but it was a good job done and I told her she could be proud of her work, her grandson is delighted and she had the confidence to tackle her next piece for her granddaughter. I told her to relax, take her time and enjoy it, she wasn't needing to race and it was for her pleasure, nothing more. Because of the childrens school holidays we haven't had a session this month but will resume early next month. I am not a teacher but I am hoping to pass on my enjoyment of the craft, neither she nor I have a need to pass any exams now or in the future. I have learned a lot from my teacher and also from many of you ladies on here since she retired for which I am always very grateful. Sallie, when you finish your fan, look and decide what could probably have been a little better and what you could work on in the future and then step back and see the beautiful thing you have created. I still get a sense of please and mild disbelief thinking that I made this piece of lace. It is really lovely. Today you and another friend have made me realise that at the moment I am trying to be too clever for my own good with my poppy so am going back to keeping it simple and will make it back up later on, in the way I should have done and then enjoy it and move on. Take pleasure and pride in what you have achieved and remember you dont need to know everything about lace to do each pattern. Just enough to allow you to make it and learn a little more with each piece.
Have fun Sallie.   Dont allow someone else to ruin your pleasure.
Sue T
Dorset UK

I was not going to say anything until your comments Lorelei. I liked your comments. When I met my dear friend for the first time (we had been communicating via e-mail only as she lives in the UK) I showed her a bookmark I had made. I was so proud of the fact I could finish something. She said it was wonderful, however I could tell she was holding back. When I convinced her I wanted her honest opinion. She responded with "you do spiders differently here in America!" I asked her t show me how she does them and wonder of wonders I could actually see the spider legs!! Then I took my first ever class and had completely the opposite reaction from the instructor I was paying to teach me. She looked at what I was doing & picked up my scissors & cut all the bobbins off my pillow. Then she said I needed to learn the the basic stitches and walked away. That ended my efforts to learn that type lace and my desire to never take a courts with that teacher again. After that I was hesitant to take another class until I took a class with Sylvie Nugyen. Talk about patience. She was fantastic and sold me on Russian tape lace. This year at the Convention I took a course with Lia Baumeister. I must admit I need way more lessons than we re programmed for this class. At one point when I was really struggling I told her the problem is I can't read Swedish. She laughed & said "but this is a diagram not words!" Then she proceeded to color code the diagram so I could better follow what needed to be done. I actually finished a small piece of lace!! More importantly she took the time to work with me & didn't CUT my threads!! Lia's class on Russian tape lace was fantastic. She started me on a fan and spent time with me to do leaves which I am struggling with. So, bottom line I have had three fantastic teachers and one very poor example of a teacher plus tons of help from Arachne. Robin, please don't give up & if you follow the advise from those who have responded you will have the courage to tell those who downgrade you to jump in the lake. My friend in the UK is constantly telling me to not be so critical of my work and is always encouraging as have been Sylvie & Lia. Please remember you can always chalk up the bad experience to ignorance on the other person's part. For every bad experience there are tons of really good ones as others have said in their comments.
Sallie in WY