The city and guilds teaching certificate is called PTLLS.  These days, in order
to take this qualification and use it to teach you are supposed to be qualified
in the subject that you intend to teach.

My understanding is that the city and guilds for lacemaking is no longer run as
as this was the only qualification in the UK you end up with a circular issue.

You want to be qualified to teach lace but you can't gain a qualification at
the right level to take the teaching qualification.

However, if you are qualified with PTLLS you can apply to any of the awarding
bodies to  deliver a qualification in lacemaking so long as you are an
accreditation centre or attached to an accredited centre.  That, of course,
costs money.  Then to deliver the accreditation course  that you set up you
need to pay for an IV (internal verifier) to verify that you are delivering to
standard.  Following that, sample models from each learner are checked by an
outside auditor from the qualifying body to check that standard are being met.

This all has to be delivered in a timely manner.

So, you can see why as numbers applying for the city and guilds lacemaking
dropped it stopped being viable to continue with the formal qualification.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/learning/teaching/6302-preparing-to-teach-in-the-lifelong-learning-sector-ptlls#tab=information

You could argue that if you have received certification from the lace guild for
completing their assessments that this would give you the technical
qualification to take PTLLS but because it is not delivered to OfQual standards
it is not recognised.

Catch 22.

In the past, colleges would let you teach lace if you had PTLLS but not a lace
qualification as they believed that if you could demonstrate a reasonable
standard in lacemaking and had learnt to teach you could combine the two.
Something which this debate here has borne out.

Sent from my iPad