I have followed the teacher evaluation and qualification thread with great
interest, both as a student and as a teacher.
Janice, I think it is a good idea to provide the evaluation form beforehand
to IOLI teachers - especially the new ones -  and also give guidelines to
teachers as to how to deal with students who are either under and over
qualified for a class, and those who demand much more than their fair share
of class time. Maybe a short session at the Teachers Meeting?

No matter how well a class is described by the teacher, different students
will interpret it to mean different things. What does "beginner",
"intermediate" and "advanced" really mean? It varies from one lace maker to
the next how they perceive their skills. More illustrations might help, and
that is now possible on the websites. But even illustrations are open to
interpretation. Some teachers who plan to write a book on their subject
might be reluctant to give out written material, as it will be copied and
distributed by students. It probably comes down to whether one teaches to
share the love and knowledge of lace or as a business.  Others might argue
that one learns more from taking notes than receiving a handout, which may
or may not make sense. I am personally in favor of clearly illustrated
hand-outs.

We all teach and learn in different ways. As a teacher I always learn
something from my students while teaching. I have been very fortunate
during my many years teaching lace making to have met a lot of wonderful
people, and it always pleases me tremendously when I see my former students
enjoy lace making, advance to a new technique, entering a contest,
teaching, etc. That to me is the real payment for teaching.

Karen in Washington, DC